Friday, April 17, 2009

If only my life were a musical...

I love a musical and I love live performances.

Tonight, I had the opportunity to see both! My friend and I went to a local theater company's production of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I would have titled this post "Sobbin' Women" or "Bless Your Beautiful Hide", but I don't know how many others share my love of it and would catch the reference..

This musical holds a special place in my heart because it is my mom's favorite. When I was younger, I recall that she would get so excited when we would stumble upon this movie on TV. Remember that this was ancient history....a time before before VCRs and DVRs. You just had to watch whatever you could find. When we would find this movie, her face would light up and everything else would come to a halt as we watched Millie tame those mountain boys. What a fun memory!

I don't think that I have ever shared with you that I wish that my life were a musical...or at least had a soundtrack. I have often wished that I could break out in a song and have those around me join in with the perfect choreographed moves. I am serious, don't you think that would be fun?

In high school, I helped backstage with the choir's production of Sound of Music. I married a man who played Kurt VonTrapp in summer children's theater. I know all the words to "Do-Re-Mi", "My Favorite Things" and a few more. Let's just say that if the hills were alive, I'd be spinning around and dancing on top of them.


Another musical that I have always enjoyed is Fiddler on the Roof. I saw the movie of it for the first time when I was a senior in high school. I had never seen anything like it before. Now, nothing gets me going like a rousing rendition of "If I were a rich man" by Reb Tevye played by Haim Topol or "Matchmaker, Matchmaker make me a match. find me a find. Catch me a catch". Oops, I sort of got carried away there with all my singing and dancing! Topol is coming to Houston for his farewell tour of FOTR and I sure hope that I get to see it live.

Let's not forget Grease and Footloose... those are great too! Oh and I loved Fame and Flashdance. I love Bye, Bye Birdie, and The Music Man, and Rent, and Jesus Christ, Superstar, and Meet Me in St. Louis, and The King and I, and Miss Saigon (saw that one on Broadway), and South Pacific... and... and...and...

I'm thinking that you get the picture. I haven't met a musical that I did not like.

Do you like musicals? Do you want to break out in song and dance like me? Just wondering!

Now, I'm off to see the Wizard. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz....

3 comments:

Jacquie said...

Your experience with musicals is MUCH broader than mine, but I love musicals. I went to see "The Phantom of the Opera" at the movies 7 times in 8 days. I dreamed of sitting in the theater and singing along with everyone during the movie.

When I was 12 or so, my mother took me to see "Oklahoma" performed by a high school. It was SO well done. You'd never know they were just high school kids. I FELL IN LOVE with live performances then.

I want to go to NYC someday and see some Broadway shows.

Oh, and I LOVE me some "Sound of Music". We had the 8-track as a kid and I, too, know about all the words.

Rebecca C said...

Yeah, don't forget OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-klahoma...!

I also know all the words to "The Seven Deadly Virtues" from Camelot. Also all of "Fie on Goodness." I was that kind of a kid.

Unknown said...

Hey...just loving you right now!!!