Sunday, May 3, 2009

Surprises behind every door

Ok. I am sad. You know I am.

However, my boys are full of life and are a balm to an aching heart without even trying.

I totally had to laugh out loud when I found this while looking for a loaf of bread in the freezer:

It seems that our youngest scientist wanted to see how the balloon would pop if he froze it first. I often find strange things that Jonathan is freezing for his experiments. They say that "Necessity is the mother of invention", but I never knew that "Freezers are the mother of experiments" until I became a mom.

I guess he comes by it honestly, because I used to do experiments as well. My fixation was not the freezer, though. I used to light toothpicks on fire in the kitchen sink while my mom was mowing the yard. They turn a bright orange color as they shrivel to black charred pieces. I totally remember the smell , too. Once, I graduated to lighting up paper towels, but they caught on fire QUICK and scared me to death so I went back to toothpicks.

Man, I was living on the edge back then, let me tell you. Did you notice that at least I had enough sense to light the toothpicks near a readily available water supply?

Now there's something that you did not know about me! (And if you like me at all, you will NOT share this with my kids. I will just move the experiments in the freezer to get to the bread, thank you very much.)

There you go.

PS. Do you think that my mom knew about my secret obsession with fiery toothpicks? I wonder sometimes.

5 comments:

Jacquie said...

I thought about you today... and prayed for you as well. I'm glad your little ones are a salve to your heart.

My oldest used to do a lot of science experiments. In the 4th grade he froze bugs as part of a Cryogenics experiment. Ha!

The Cabe Family said...

Hilarious! Another something that Christopher and Jonathan have in common...he freezes THINGS all of the time!!!???

Continuing to pray for you...

Amanda said...

This is too funny! Now I know my kids are normal! I find "cups of stuff" in my freezer as well. They always tell me they are doing a science experiment.

Rebecca C said...

Clearly your toothpick experiments were done in the days before smoke detectors. And don't you imagine your mama knew?? Eyes in the back of the head and all that...

(I mostly did Nature Stuff like making little dams for snails in the creek in the nearby woods, and trapping toads or horny toads, sometimes accidentally releasing them in the house.)

xoxAR

Ellen said...

My brother used to like bugs on fire. Sometimes he'd use the magnifying glass outside or use a match in the laundry room sink.