Saturday, January 3, 2009

Out with the Old

Jeremy decided to clean out the garage again today. Our garage fills up with clutter faster than you would believe. I guess he was getting tired of the obstacle course that we have had to traverse just to take out the trash. (That is, we, in the universal sense of the word as I rarely take out the trash.) I happened to wander out there right when he started working. When I discovered what he was doing, I eagerly volunteered my services as Organizer Extraordinaire.

I guess I was a little too eager. Can you believe that he said that he would rather do it all by himself? When he told me that he would prefer if I just went in and did not "help" him, I started to feel a tiny bit of tightening in my chest.

No, I was not saddened that my dear husband of almost 14 years did not want me right by his side. I was saddened because extreme cleaning and organization would be happening and I was not going to be a part of it. (I have a little Monica from Friends in me!) I knew that I would have to play my cards right if I was going to be allowed to be a part of this adventure.

I promised to just be a helper and not take over. I told him that I would be available to run and fetch, sweep, etc and that he could make all the decisions. He seemed reluctant to give in, but I promised to keep my word so he let me stay. By the time the job was done, I do think that I was helpful to him, definitely value added and the garage looks great!

I started thinking about how I am to be a helper to him in all areas of life, not just those that get me something in return like a cleaning fix. This does not come easily for me because I like to be "Large and In Charge" of all situations. (Not an excuse, folks, just an explanation.)

I want to be the kind of wife that is a help not a hindrance or a nag. A wife that helps her husband reach his full potential and one that is a soft place to fall when the world is tough on him. Unfortunately, I think that I get bogged down in things that don't matter as much and lose sight of my goals.

Seems like I need to clean out the clutter in my heart a lot more often than he needs to clean the garage, don't you think?


2 comments:

Erin Colvin said...

I love reading your blog! I am so glad you are writing! That is so true! I tend to take charge instead of helping! May God help us in this area of being a true helpmate not a hurtmate to our husbands! Erin

Susie said...

yay! look what I found? you continue to amaze me!!