Friday, February 20, 2009

The Incredible Shrinking Woman

In February 2008, I topped the scales at my highest weight ever. Even when 9 months pregnant, I had weighed less. I felt very unhealthy and my knee hurt almost nonstop. I was up to 12 advil a day with very little relief.

I half heartedly started working with a trainer at the YMCA and was able to lose 15 pounds. In April, I changed trainers and my plan of attack. Since then I have lost an additional 55 pounds for a grand total of 70 off in one year.

I have learned a lot during this process...
  1. I actually enjoy working out once I get going.
  2. I am stronger than I thought I was both physically and mentally.
  3. My family will not fall apart if I put myself first in order to get a workout.
  4. I will not fall apart if I push myself physically... well, if I do fall apart, I can pull it back together and be stronger for it.
  5. It helps to have accountability and support.
  6. Working out is a part of life, not an interruption.
  7. When someone compliments you, you can just say "Thank you."
  8. It is ok to be afraid of something, but it is not ok to let that fear control what you do: Be afraid, but do it anyway.
  9. Humility is NOT overrated.
  10. Everyone has some sort of "body issue", not just me.
  11. Muscles are very sexy and good for a marriage.
  12. Hearing your boy children say, "Mom, you look so strong" can make you smile.
  13. When you are hungry, ground turkey breast is delicious!
  14. Planning is important, vital, and necessary.
  15. Sometimes you mess up. If you fall down 6 times, you just get up 7. No one is perfect.
I couldn't decide if I wanted to post pictures, but I think that I will.... so here goes. Here's me before at Jonathan's Valentine Party in 2008.




And here I am with Caleb at his Valentine's Party in 2009


When I saw this one on the screen after it was taken, I thought, "Where is the rest of me?"

Then, I remembered that I had left it at the gym.

There you go!

6 comments:

Erin Colvin said...

Wow! Girl, you look amazing! Let's meet in Hempstead for brunch! I know of a restaurant. Love, Erin

The Cabe Family said...

Absolutely fantastic! Wow!

Ellen said...

You go girl! You look great, Linda and you've inspired me to break the barrier I've come up against. Would you mind if I share your tips with my First Place group? Ellen

Rebecca C said...

Am so proud of you, Incredible Woman! Shoot, I wanted to comment on one of the things you've learned but now that I'm on the comment page I can't see the list. Oh I remember -- just say "Thank you." Also about fear being okay as long as it doesn't paralyze you. Good things to have in your "I Get That!" repetoire.

love you. xoxAR

Unknown said...

WOWSIE!!!! You look incredible!

Jacquie said...

I noticed you on my fitness blog (thank.you.very.much!). And came to visit to find a little out about you.

You're a great writer. It looks as though you have two boys... I do too, although mine are almost 22 and 20 now!

I loved this post and wanted to comment and tell you that in Nov. 2004, I found myself a 40 year old woman who was up to 150 pounds (10 pounds more than when I was nearly 10 mos. pregnant with a nearly 10 pound baby!!). I was miserable and decided to do something about it. Long story short, I began my fitness journey. I have been working HARD at it ever since.

Some of the points you made on this post that I loved:

-My family will not fall apart if I put myself first to workout. Amen!! That was a hard lesson for me (and I still sometimes feel some guilt).

-Muscles are very sexy and good for a marriage. Thankfully, my husband has worked out for YEARS and finds a hard, fit woman attractive.

-Having your boy children say... Mine have told me I'm the buffest woman in the gym or commented on my guns. LOVE IT!

-Planning is important, vital and necessary. SO true. That's half the battle.

I'm so impressed with the changes you've made in your life!! I hope to get to know you better!