Sunday, March 1, 2009

Just Keeping it Real

This post has been added in an effort to keep this blog true to life. We apologize in advance for the negative tones that are present in this entry. We expect that the positive, uplifting tone will return once the author gets a decent night's sleep and hug from someone in her family.

Do you remember that a few short days ago, I posted about how much I loved airports and how romantic they are and all that junk?

Well, I don't exactly take it back because I did feel like that on the Thursday when I was fresh. Note the past tense used in that sentence.

You guessed it, there is another side to that "Romantic, I would love to travel all the time" coin.

A not so pretty side, called: "Sunday-night-travel-home-when-the-plane-is-delayed-and-a-snowstorm-is-threatening-to-come-in-and-dump-9-14 -inches-of-snow-before-I-can-get-home-and-I-am-so-tired-what-was-I-thinking-when-I-left-the safety-of home".

All exacerbated by the following:
  1. We stayed up until 5am scrapbooking and being silly. Sleep deprivation brings out the best in me. Not.
  2. I did not have lunch. When I did try to eat, I stood in line at Burger king for about 10 minutes. When I reached the counter, the lady showed me a small, one might say miniscule, sign that said that they did not take credit cards. "What kind of place in America, in an airport nonetheless, does not take credit cards?!?" I screamed deep inside my head, as I sweetly turned on one heel and searched for an ATM machine.
  3. Plan B of catching up on sleep on the plane ride home was thwarted by an Evil Master Plan devised by some Evil Tweens in the row behind me who had more energy than the Energizer Bunny. They kept talking and talking and talking and talking and kicking my seat and kicking my seat and kicking my seat.
  4. The cabin was C-C-C-C-COLD!
  5. I was even colder since during the 5 minutes that I actually did fall asleep, I inadvertently spilled about 16 oz of ice cold diet coke all in my lap. Good times! Good times!
Did I give up with all that "adversity"? No, I persevered! I used a ton of Self-Talk strategies.

It was tough, but I did it. I survived the scheduling delay and the Burger King debacle. I did not let the evil plan to keep me from my beauty sleep stop me, but instead, I used that wide awake time to categorize the pictures on my laptop. The diet coke dried and Flight 1077 triumphantly landed in Houston.

I maneuvered the baggage claim, the park-n-fly, and drove all the way home for a warm welcome from my darling family whom I assumed were waiting expectantly for me to return and complete their lives.

Well, think again, baby. I came home to a dark house and all boys snug in their beds.

But as the saying goes, There's no place like home!

There you go!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Yikes - I'm so sorry that you had such a rough trip home. The really funny thing is that I, too, hit Burger King on my way home. They couldn't get my order for 10 minutes, and then it wasn't right. I was very exasperated. And I spilled my drink (at least it wasn't in my lap - it was just on the parking lot).

I'm VERY glad that you are home safe and not stuck in a snow storm. They've already called off school for tomorrow. No rest for the weary!