Wednesday, April 15, 2009

How to change a tail light in 3 or 4 easy steps.

The other day I tried to get my van inspected, but it failed.
Next time, it should study harder. HA HA!

I was a little put out because I don't like to fail anything. Those big automotive guys were just picking on me, I'm sure.

Nevertheless, they gave me 15 days to get the windshield wipers and the cracked tail light repaired. Then, they will reinspect it for free (except that I have already paid them $40 so don't get me started on the FREE thing).

I set out to get the parts for the repairs on my own. After all, I once drove a 1972 Ford Pinto and everyone knows the acronym Ford is "Found on Road Dead". My bright orange FORD Pinto was no exception, so let's just say that I know a little about automotive repair.

I walked in to Autozone with my head high and my shoulders back, confident that I could maneuver the store. Well, it did not take long for Autozone to break me. Not long at all.

All the items looked the same. I could not find any info in the catalog about tail lights and there was a long line at the register (all males wearing shirts with their names emboridered over the pocket). I started to sweat a little and get confused about all the different blades. It felt like I was wearing a sign that said, "This woman knows nothing about this stuff. Please feel free to take advantage of her." (I feel the same way when I go to Vitamin Shoppe. Like a fish out of water.)

I hung my head in defeat and shuffled out the door. Later, I asked, no, begged Jeremy to go back for me and take care of it. He went to Autozone as well and also turned up with nothing there. We had victory at Advance Auto Parts! They ordered the part and assured Jeremy that he would be able to do the job himself.

I picked it up Monday after my training and cardio session. I was feeling empowered after all that physical activity so I decided that I would try my hand at changing the light myself. If I couldn't figure it out myself, I planned to consult the fount of all knowledge.... Google, of course, for detailed instructions.

Here is the light before:



Moving along to step 2. Easy Breezy!


What number are we on. Oh yeah. Step 3: Now, plug in the light and screw it back in.... (wow, I sure do hope that no one plans to use my post as a detailed explanation of how to change a tail light.)

Step 4: Take a picture of your dirty hands for your blog.


There you go!

1 comment:

Jacquie said...

You sure made that look easy! I won't be letting my husband read this... wouldn't want him thinking us women can actually do these things.