Friday, April 10, 2009

I think I found my new calling! Part 2

As promised, my story continues. If you missed part 1, go here!

As you recall, Penny from Wardrobe had said that I should bring some comfortable clothes that might work for the commercial in case the client liked them better than hers. She also said that I did not have to bring my whole closet, just a few of my favorite options.

What woman in her right mind would wear "old clothes" on a commercial? I logically treated her request to bring clothes as an open invitation to go crazy with the credit card at all of my favorite clothing stores.

While I was shopping, my mindset was different than normal. I wasn't looking for clothes for Plain ol' Linda. No, not this time! I was shopping for the HEB commercial "star" who had just been discovered! It felt so glamorous. It proves that attitude is everything!

While I was shopping, I got a call from the Producer. Again, I felt so glam and important on my cell talking to a "producer." Ooh, la la! Watch out Hollywood! We went over a few details of the shoot, but before we got off the phone, I mentioned jokingly to him that I was out shopping for clothes for the commercial. He quickly reassured me that I did not have to do that at all because wardrobe would take care of it. Silly producer, shopping's for girls. It's really no trouble!

Fast forward to Monday.

I arrived on the outskirts of Austin right around 11 am in plenty of time for my noon call time. I had practiced my lines as I drove and felt fairly confident in them. Of course, that confidence was a bit overshadowed by the anxiety that I felt about the whole experience. It was truly a "What on earth have I gotten myself into?" moment. But, I just bolstered myself with encouraging self talk such as, "This will be a fun experience. If they wanted a professional, they would have hired one. They want a mom and you qualify!"

I checked in at the front desk of the studio and tried to look nonchalant as I lugged my load of clothes and various toiletries. You see, I did bring most of my closet with me after all. (I am sure that none of you are surprised about that, now are you?) She showed me to the waiting area where I met 3 of the other "talents" for the commercial. (That's what they call you... talent. In MY case, they were using it very loosely!)

The other 3 ladies were from the Houston area and knew one other. Two of them were actresses and the other lady was just a regular person like me. When I walked in one of the ladies asked me, "Are you an actress?" Without thinking, I replied, "Nope, I'm just a person." What a dufus I can be sometimes!! Seriously, that was the best I could do? After a few minutes of awkward silence while I am inwardly chastising myself, someone came to usher me to wardrobe to fill out some forms and to let Penny choose my outfit.

Forms! Maybe that means $$$! Yep, I had to fill out a contract and a W-2. It was a small stipend, but I did not feel the need to negotiate a better deal!! Ha ha!

I did not know how to fill out the contract so I asked the director's asst to "walk me through it." I choked back a guffaw when she pointed to one of the lines and said, "That is where you put your agent's name so we know where to send your check." I replied in all seriousness, "So, since I don't have an agent at this time, should I put my home address?" (As if I was just in-between agents or something.... HMMM....Maybe I have more acting talent than I gave myself credit for!!)

There's more to the story, but that will have to be a Part 3!!
There you go!

2 comments:

Jacquie said...

Oh, you're keeping us hanging again!! I'll be waiting for Part III!

Rebecca C said...

Following the story with bait breath. Oh wait, that's bated breath.